Albania: IT infrastructures
The EuropeAid Albania project is funded by the European Union through its Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA). We have been working with the Ministry for Innovation and ICT and the National Agency for Information Society for developing IT infrastructure and e-Government Services in Albania.
Our objective has been to support them in the development of e-Government to improve effectiveness and transparency in Albanian Public Administration and guarantee personal data protection, as required by European standards.
In particular, we dealt with:
- developing a cloud infrastructure dedicated to the Public Administration
- providing technologies and models for interoperability among government systems
- developing an Information Interchange Layer (IIL)
- setting up a new multi-function infrastructure for the national eGovernment portal (www.ealbania.al), to enable citizens’ access to information and digital services
- implementing a digital identity management system for citizens and enterprises.
The www.e-albania.al portal was published on 28 November 2012, on the occasion of the centenary of the independence of the Republic of Albania, and the first services for the citizens are:
- “State Matura”: developed for the Ministry of Education, it made it possible to manage university registrations (in 2013 it was used by some 60,000 students)
- “Driving License”: developed for the Ministry of Transport, it made it possible to manage the issuing of driving licenses: registration, driving tests, renewal (in 2013 it was used for about 20,000 licenses in two pilot areas).
Lastly the project also developed an electronic document management system to be used by all the Ministries of the Albanian government. The system was defined together with the Ministry for European Integration, the Ministry of Transport and the Council of Ministries. About 300 public officials have been trained to use the system.
Collaborating with the Albanian government has been a good opportunity. It has allowed us to transfer our skills, consolidate our presence on the local market as an Italian public agency of reference in the EGOV area and increase our training skills.
Partners: CSI(Italy) – Leader, Infosoft Systems (Albania)