Summer school: blockchain for families
Starting from 2020 blockchain technology will be at the basis of the whole administrative and organizational process of Estate Ragazzi (Summer school), the initiative of the City of Turin and some Associations, supported by Compagnia di San Paolo and Ufficio Pio.
“Estate Ragazzi” is an offer of summer activities for children, aimed at families who stay in town during the school closing period. The participation fee paid by the family is commensurate with the ISEE (equivalent financial situation index) value of the family unit, while the remaining economic integration is paid to the Associations directly by Compagnia di San Paolo and Ufficio Pio.
The administrative flow was based so far on the delivery of forms, self-certifications and paper documents to certify requirements and declare interest in participating. The pilot project creates a software system that, in addition to computerizing and streamlining administrative and bureaucratic activities, offers citizens a more intuitive and transparent user experience, thanks to the use of blockchain and the ability to manage everything from their smartphone.
The blockchain-based data and transaction architecture allows for the verifiability and automatic acquisition of statements, for the automation of many phases, for the traceability and accountability of actions carried out over time.
The scenery we are developing can be traced back to the more general model of bonus and social token disbursement, which involves different roles:
- who pays the contributions: Ufficio Pio
- who provides the services: the Associations
- beneficiaries: families
- certifiers: City of Turin
The use of national SPID and CIE credentials, combined with a blockchain wallet managed through apps, ensures that children's online enrolment can be guaranteed, without families having to go to school counters.
The certification of information based on the ANPR national registry office avoids citizens having to provide data already known to the public administration, according to the "once only" principle: the certificate of residence, family status, ISEE level. Through apps, the parent also manages the authorisation for the collection of the child. In the future the service could integrate the “PagoPA” circuit for the electronic payment of the participation fee.
The experimentation of this pilot project offers to all those involved these advantages:
- families: streamlined IT procedures that can be used by smartphones, registration via online procedure, automatically obtained certificates, greater control over the actual use of services, easy management of the delegation of powers to collect children
- Ufficio Pio: visibility of the distribution of contributions on the territory, certainty of the socio-economic requirements of the families, certainty of the applicant's identity and validity of the application for registration, streamlining of reporting procedures and reliability of the actual frequency of attendance
- Associations: verifiability and certification of accreditation, real-time visibility of availability of places and distribution of requests, computerised system for the delegation of children's collection, streamlining of reporting procedures
- City of Turin: traceability and verifiability of the actions, visibility on the employment of the schools made available on the territory, automatic verification of the socio-economic requirements of families.